Software plays a major role in organized SCRABBLE® activities.
NASPA's Web Committee offers web hosting space to software developers,
and works with them to develop standards.
The Technology Committee evaluates and certifies word judge software for use at tournaments and clubs.
NASPA also licenses the NASPA Word List and NASPA School Word List for use by developers.
Certification and licensing are separate processes; software may be either, neither, or both. Uncertified, unlicensed software is listed here only for information purposes, and not as an endorsement.
Tournament and club software
Word judge (software self lookup)
NASPA recommends that tournaments and clubs use laptops running word adjudication software to process
challenges in competitive games. The following Software Self Lookup (SSL) programs were evaluated by the Technology Committee and are approved for use in club and tournament situations as noted below.
- Features: anagramming, word judge
- Developer: Mike Wolfberg
- System: Windows
- Notes: certified and licensed
Tournament management software assists the director in pairing players, recording game results, generating pairing reports and standings for printing, and generating final tournament data for submission to NASPA for rating of tournaments.
There is at least one popular software package not listed below, at the request of its publisher.
Note: the Technology Committee does not evaluate or endorse the various study tools available, but has provided a list here for information purposes only.
- developed by Jason Katz-Brown and John O'Laughlin, is the strongest SCRABBLE playing program in the world. It is used by many players for training, and to analyze their games to improve their future play.
- developed by Brian Sheppard, is also a strong program, but was withdrawn from the market when its rights were sold to Hasbro. Sheppard continues to develop the program, a branch of which was available briefly from Hasbro in CD-ROM form.
Anagramming and word lookup tools
- app for the iPhone that anagrams letters to find words. Also has a word judge feature (that has not yet been authorized by the Technology Committee for official use at tournaments or clubs).
- System: iPhone
- developed by Mike Wolfberg, Wolfberg's Helpful Anagramming Tool. Also authorized SSL word judge for tournaments and clubs.
- System: Windows
- developed by Michael Thelen, allows a variety of word lookup methods, includes definitions, cardbox studying, quizzes, etc. Also authorized SSL word judge for tournaments and clubs.
- Systems supported: Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
Software that is no longer actively supported, or has not been updated to current
standards, can be found in a separate list of legacy software.