(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Here is a brief introduction to the 2022 Scrabble Players Championship
for overseas visitors considering attending.
- What is it?
- This is the 32nd Scrabble Championship in North America. It features about 400 players and 31 rounds of NASPA- and WESPA-rated play over five days on July 23–27, in a hotel in downtown Baltimore, MD.
- Where is Baltimore?
- Baltimore is located in the northeastern part of Maryland, 40 miles northeast of Washington, DC.
- How do I get there?
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) is a major international airport and should be easily reachable from around the world. MTA Light Rail will take visitors from the airport to Downtown Baltimore for about $2. Take the rail north to the Camden Station stop - about a 30 minute ride. Exit the rail and head north on S. Eutaw Street to the hotel - about a 7 minute walk on mostly flat terrain.
- Do I need a visitor’s visa?
- It depends on where you are travelling from. We can tell you whether or not you do, but it is your responsibility to obtain the visa yourself.
- Don’t you play with the American dictionary?
- Many of us do, but we get about 40 players each year in our Collins division.
- How can I see who is registered this year?
- An entrants list is available here.
- What do I need to do to register?
- If you are not already a NASPA member, you need to have an active membership to register. Then you may complete the registration form once registration opens, and remit payment either by credit card or postal money order as instructed. You may also pay John Chew in cash, in person at an international event.
- How do I become a member?
- If you live in a country with which we have a reciprocal agreement (including the UK, Australia, India, Nigeria and Malaysia) and are a member of your local official Scrabble association, just email us at email@example.com for your complimentary membership. If not, ask us if we can negotiate an agreement with your organization. If not, first-time trial membership costs US$15 for six-months; past members may purchase a one-week membership for US$19.
- How much does the NASC itself cost?
- USD$200 (youths under 18 pay $100), plus a USD$100 commuter fee if you do not book your stay under the group block at the event hotel (Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards). The entry fee increases by $50 on June 1, 2022.
- What was the top prize in the Collins division in 2019?
- How can I find out more about the event?
- Visit the 2022 Scrabble Players Championship webpage, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org