The Canadian Committee is a NASPA committee established in February 2009 to
manage matters pertaining solely to Canadian and not American players.
To contact the Canadian Committee send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ending dates for current members’ terms
The terms for both John Robertson and Jeff Parsons will end on December 31, 2010.
The terms for both David Boys and Siri Tillekeratne will end on December 31, 2011.
The terms for both Tony Leah and Randall Thomas will end on December 31, 2012.
2009 Canadian Committee Election
Two members’ terms on the Canadian Committee (CC) ended on December 31, 2009. Those members are John Aitken and Tony Leah. An election was scheduled for November 2009 to replace them, but proved to be unnecessary. Tony Leah and Randall Thomas both registered as candidates before the October 17 nomination deadline, as did Shelley Ubeika. However, on October 20, Shelley decided to withdraw her name. Therefore both Tony and Randall were elected by acclamation. They are each serving three-year CC terms that began on January 1, 2010 and will end on December 31, 2012.
The Committee has the following items on its agenda:
- Consider a ratings fee surcharge on Canadian tournaments to help fund Canadian WSC players
- Establish a mechanism for communicating with Canadian Scrabble players
- Declared both Tony Leah and Randall Thomas elected by acclamation in the 2009 CC election after the only other registered candidate, Shelley Ubeika, withdrew her name from consideration.
- Established John Robertson as NASPA's Canadian financial "middle man." John is now authorized to collect NASPA membership fees from Canadian players and participation fees from Canadian tournament directors in Canadian dollars (with the exchange rate factored in). See "payment" page for details.
- Established the procedures for nominating candidates for the 2009 Canadian Committee election and the basic rules for how that election shall be conducted.
- Conducted a lottery to determine the ending dates of the various members' terms on the Canadian Committee.
- Prepared a qualification system for the Canadian team at the 2011 World SCRABBLE Championship.
- Prepared a qualification system for the next Canadian National SCRABBLE Championship.
- Prepared a proposed outline for the future structure of this committee. (This has now been finalized.)