Here are the legal Rules and Regulations governing
the 2018 Canadian National SCRABBLE Championship.
- The Tenth Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship is open to players who qualify according to the qualification system established by the NASPA Canadian Committee and posted on their website.
- The championship will be held in Toronto, Ontario from Friday, June 15th to Monday, June 18th, 2018. By entering the championship, players agree to participate in all the games to which they are assigned; and if they are one of the two finalists, agree to make themselves available for any media interviews or promotional activity described below, for a period of 48 hours after the finals end.
- All championship games will be played according to the current edition of the NASPA Rules and Code of Conduct. As stipulated in those rules, the official word references will be the Official Tournament and Club Word List, 2016 edition. Should there be any inappropriate behaviour, challenge or dispute during a championship game, such behaviour, challenge or dispute will be settled or adjudicated by NASPA and the Tournament Director. HASBRO Canada Inc. is in no way responsible for the manner in which the games are run or mediated. NASPA is responsible for overseeing the proper execution of the NASPA tournament rules.
- Cost of entry to the Championship is $75 per participant. Participants will be solely responsible for arranging and paying for their own travel and accommodations to, from and during the Championship. The prize structure will be as follows:
|First Place Winner
|Second Place Winner
|Third Place Winner
|Fourth Place Winner
|Fifth Place Winner
|Sixth Place Winner
|Seventh Place Winner
|Eighth Place Winner
|Ninth Place Winner
|Tenth Place Winner
|Highest Scoring Word of the Day
||$25 each day
|Best Daily Record
||$25 each day
Players may win at most one cash prize. Should a player be eligible for two or more prizes, they will be awarded the prize listed first above, and the remaining prizes will be awarded to the next qualifying player. In the event of a tie, prizes for the top ten players will split among tied players and $25 prizes will be awarded to a tied player selected at random. The total prize pool will be $12,150.
- All participants (and parent/guardian if the participant is a minor) agree to acknowledge the non-responsibility of HASBRO Canada Inc., its successors and assigns, and their respective agents, including mandataries, employees, directors and officers to any claims, demands, actions, causes of action, losses, injuries, or costs of expenses which they suffer or incur as a result of, arising out of or relating to the Tenth Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship including, without limitation, travel to and from, prizes, the time spent at the Tenth Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship and any activities and entertainment associated with the Championship or any free time personal activities.
- By entering the Tenth Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship and accepting the above, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners (or their parent/guardian if the winner is a minor) consent to the use of their name, image (including without limitation, pictures, video images and other reproductions), voice and identity (including, without limitation, the winner’s age, occupation and address) in any promotional activity of HASBRO Canada Inc. and any related or affiliated companies, at the sole discretion of HASBRO Canada Inc., and agree that they shall not be entitled to any royalty, commission or other compensation in connection therewith. As stated at point 2, above, the 1st and 2nd place winners will make themselves available for media interviews after the Championship.
- No substitutions will be made for the prizes offered, and those must be accepted as awarded.
- The Tenth Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship is subject to all Federal, Provincial and Municipal Laws.
- In Québec, any litigation respecting the conduct and awarding of the above-listed prizes for this Championship may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux.
- HASBRO Canada Inc.’s employees (active or retired), its representatives or agents, the Director of the Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship and persons with whom any of these individuals are domiciled are not eligible to enter.
At registration time, you may be required to sign a copy of this document. If for any reason you anticipate that you will be unable to do so, please contact the Director to cancel your registration.
I acknowledge that I have read and will comply with the NASPA Rules and Code of Conduct and these Official Rules and Regulations of the Tenth Canadian SCRABBLE® Championship.
Signature: _______________________________ Date: ___________________