This page describes how to install NASPA Zyzzyva on an OS X (typically Apple Macintosh) computer.
- If you wish to install the OTCWL2016, OSPD5, or SSWL2016, make sure that you have a NASPA membership, its ID (number) and password, and a 64-bit (Intel Core Duo 2 or later) OS X (10.7 or later) computer with an Internet connection.
- Download the installer disk image file.
- Open the disk image file and drag the app to the Applications folder as indicated.
- Open the app in the Applications folder.
- If you see a warning about security, either click the Allow button if there is one, or else go to the Apple menu → System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General → Allow applications downloaded from: and select Anywhere, then try again.
- If you see a warning about an unknown developer, hold down the Control key and click the app. Choose Open and then click Open. Zyzzyva is saved as an exception to your security settings.
- Go to Tools → Manage Licenses... and click Claim License.... Choose NASPA. Log in with your NASPA ID and password. Click OK to acknowledge that you have received a license file. Click OK to acknowledge that you have received an activation certificate. Click Close to close the Licenses window. Click OK to acknowledge that Zyzzyva is attempting to load lexicons using the new license.
- Go to Zyzzyva → Preferences → General → Load Lexicons: Edit... and click on OTCWL2016. Click OK twice to close windows.
- To check that you have OTCWL2016 loaded correctly, click the magnifying glass search button, choose the OTCWL2016 lexicon, and ask for an anagram match for ABEDHIRTT. If you see BIRTHDATE, you’re done.
- If you want to see definitions or do more complex searches, go to Tools → Rebuild Database... and choose to build the OTCWL2016 lexicon database. This will take a while, but when it's complete, you'll have the full set of capabilities with the new lexicon.
Issue With Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra)
If Zyzzyva fails to launch when you try to run it, you can fix your installed copy of NASPA Zyzzyva 3.1.0 by following these steps:
- In Finder, in the Go menu, choose Go to Folder…
- Enter /usr/lib and click Go.
- Select the file named libz.1.dylib and copy it to the Clipboard.
- Navigate to the folder where Zyzzyva is installed.
- Control-click the Zyzzyva application icon and choose Show Package Contents.
- Open the Contents folder and then the Frameworks folder.
- Paste the file that you copied onto the clipboard, and click Replace when prompted.