NASPA certifies directors as being qualified to direct sanctioned tournaments and clubs. The NSA stopped doing so on 2009-07-01.
Tournament vs. club directors
Currently the same certification applies to both tournament and club directors. The certification criteria are set by the Tournament Committee and the Club/Director Committee jointly.
Current active tournament and/or club directors certified by NSA who join NASPA are “grandfathered” in. (i.e. They are automatically certified as tournament and club directors by NASPA.)
The director certification page explains the certification process for NASPA members who want to become certified as directors for the first time.
The criteria for maintaining certified director status and for restoring a lapsed certification are set by the Tournament Committee and the Club/Director Committee.
When significant changes are made in Official Tournament Rules and/or Director’s Manual, directors may be required to retake the director test as a review at no charge. This can be done by email, or when the online test is implemented, online.
Resources for directors
Here are some resources for directors to help them do their job.
If you need something that isn’t listed below, please let us know and we’ll add it.
- Communicating with other directors: There is an online group (naspa-tcd) where sanctioned directors discuss questions and issues with other directors, including hearing what they have to say about all facets of organizing and running sanctioned NASPA clubs and tournaments.
Check the Player Resources page for scoresheets and other player-related forms and links.
- Verify a player’s membership and/or rating:
- Member search An interactive search for any NASPA members.
- Rating search An interactive search for any rated players.
- Member list A concise listing of all current NASPA members (with their ratings and membership numbers), in alphabetical order by last name (includes members only; includes also nonrated members, such as new members who haven’t played in rated tournaments yet).
- Rating list A long listing of all players (with their ratings, rankings and membership expiration dates) that have ever established a rating with NASPA or the NSA, in alphabetical order by last name (includes rated players only; includes also rated nonmembers, past members and deceased players).
- Purchase a NASPA membership
- Players under suspension
- We are continuing to compile a director list and a club list. If you are a director who has not yet submitted information about yourself and/or your club, please download our director questionnaire and submit it to Mary Rhoades.